Saturday, September 19, 2026

 *Aksharabhyasam* 


When I was in my 5th. Year of life , my 'aksharabhyasam' or 'Vidyarambham' was done as ordained in the 'shastras' . I very vividly remember that memorable event .

Amid chanting of  Veda mantras by the most respected Dwadasi Pantulugaru ( మా హితులు, పుర హితులు) , my father made me sit in his lap and holding my fist he helped me to write "Om Namah Shivaya Siddham Namaha"  on a new  'పలక' (slate) with a new 'బలపం'(slate pencil ) . At that time ,I did not know that what I wrote means "Salutations to Lord Shiva, and salutations to the ultimate perfection/success."In our culture, this sacred phrase is traditionally written and chanted during Aksharabhyasam (a child's formal initiation into education) to bless the child with knowledge, wisdom, and success in learning .

After this initiation , my father did the honours to the teachers from the local school who graced the ceremony .

Children from that school were invited and gifts were given to them .

I attended that school only for a short while before I was shifted to St. Anns School where my sister (Chelli) was studying at that time .

No comments:

Post a Comment